Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Adventures of Tyrone Villa - Master Bath Remodel

Adventures of Tyrone Villa - Bob Villa's illegitimate Son
Episode: The Masterbath remodel
OK,

Now I gotta do my project at my house that I have been putting off for a while. When we purchased the house we both hated the tile in our master bath. It is that orange Spanish tile. The tile didn't match anything in the bathroom. The tub and shower is white and the trim is white and the wood on the cabinets is cherry.

OK, initially the project was to replace the tile flooring and replace the cultured marble counter top with granite. But, the wife decided that she wanted more drawers to put stuff in rather than have a opening to sit down to do her hair or put on make up. So we started shopping around for cabinets, We go to Lowes, Home Depot and about 4-5 other local cabinet stores and could not find anything that would cost a arm and a leg to buy, and could be delivered in a short period of time (What a beating !).

After several hints to get started on removing the tile, I get the demo tool rented and bust up the existing tile, which required removing the toilet in the toilet room. It actually came up fairly easy, but the thinset was a Bitch to get up. You have to get down to the foundation or at least be smooth all over for the new tile to lay properly.


After going back and forth about what cabinets we wanted for about a month we decide on some cabinets and get them ordered. In the mean time we find a good deal on a granite countertop and order it. We received the cabinets which includes two bathroom sink vanitys and a drawer bank and I get them installed (basically to sinks on each side and a bank of 3 drawers between them). Then we schedule for the granite guys to come and install the countertop. They did a great job.

The next week I get started on installing the ceramic tile floor. We were going to go with travertine, but after my sister in-law installed it in her house we noticed how slippery it is in the bathroom on wet feet and we decided not to go with travertine. One day we saw some ceramic tile that looks identical to travertine but not slippery. Yeah! So I get started installing this tile and it goes pretty well. I actually impressed the wife with my skillz ! toot.. toot..!!! oops was that me blowing my own horn.... forgive me. :-) I get the bathroom 80% tiled and reinstall the toilet. Then when I get ready to finish up the job the wife decides she wants to change out the faucet on the tub. We have one of those corner garden tubs with the removable side panel. So it would be best if I didn't tile all the way up to the tub if we were going to have to remove the side panel. I insisted that if the faucet was going to be replaced it wasn't going to be by me. She would have to call a plumber. So she finds a faucet she likes, and schedules a plumber to come out and he takes 3 hours to install this thing. Now, $500 total to buy and have this new faucet installed, I finish the tile job and the bathroom looks great. I have not taken any after pics yet, but I will soon and upload them.

Thank god, I am finished.

The wife wants to replace the countertops upstairs, but I am out of the home improvement business for a while. The only thing I am going to be working on is cleaning out my garage so that both cars can fit in. Too much crap. (Toys, Tools, Boxes) I gotta make room for my new baby coming in 2008.

This is Tyrone Villa, signing off....Until next time... measure twice...cut once.

No comments: